Sunday, July 6, 2008

Seven Winter Classics.




Winter, the idea brings shivers up your spine and rampant thoughts of creamy hot chocolates, fluffy eiderdowns and knitted clothing. Winter, like Summer is normally defined by the aforementioned items as well as a soundtrack that gets you through the cold snap.

Here are my Seven Winter Classic, with Seven Special Winter Memories.

1. Black & Blue by The Herd.
The Herds latest studio offering, politically and socially outspoken is fantastic for those long drives. If one track could be chosen off the album to signify something more romantic it would be Black & Blue. Based on the current governmental situation this track is perfect for grooving too and thinking about who you want to be.

2. Skinny Love by Bon Iver.
Hanging with the ex-boy was never a favourite past time, but Winter has changed us. Both appreciative that we have salvaged a friendship from some very smoky ashes of our failed childhood romance. Skinny Love is a beautiful piece, that was playing over and over at a time where we could have lost everything or kept what was left.

3. Time To Pretend/Kids/Electric Feel by MGMT.
I know you should never group in these type of things, cheating is never acceptable. But these three songs are nearly inseperable in my memory. They are my Winter. And if you don't know why, please see my previous post.

4. Hometon Glory (Shinobe One edit) by Adele.
Without mentioning the small fact this may turn into a massive Skins list, Hometown Glory is an amazing, heartfelt track and something that resonates so deeply this winter. I'm back home, I'm moving on (and moving up) and I'm growing in more ways than one. I've learnt my true friends and I know now the importance of home. Nothing makes you learn as quick as a snow storm, a old love letter and a wet blanket.

5. If I Knew You by The Presets.
The ultimate soft, sashaying, mellowed dance track. My very favourite off Apocalypso, If I Knew You is the one song I find myself continually dancing alone too this Winter. Its arm-raising, hip-shaking, feet-tapping good. It suits Chloe patent black shoe boots, 3am recovery dance sessions and the odd kiss on the cheek.

6. Their Cell by Girl in a Coma.
The softcore beat, the MK Olsen endorsement and the heroin chic name, they make Winter warming cooking bearable.

7. Love Cats by Tricky.
It's not everyday your token Male at work turns around and starts singing The Cure to you. Well, maybe it is. I don't know. All I know is that we crank this cover every Saturday at work, the chilled femme voice giving the track a fresh and unique vibe. Winter means a thriving cafe and Love Cats is a track that has gotten the surliest of customers tapping their feet (not mentioning the most open of Mountain residents belting out the tune whilst waiting for their Latte's).

I think I have more than Seven Winter Classics.

No comments: